News

Boutique becomes latest bidder for Abraaj assets

AuctionAnother investment firm has entered the bidding for the assets of fallen Dubai buy-out firm Abraaj. The new bidder is Tell Group, a boutique investment firm led by Swiss-Algerian Yassine Bouhara, a former Deutsche Bank and UBS banker. It has offered $25 million for a share in seven Abraaj funds. Tell Group proposes to “pay all the costs/expenses required to transfer the management right of select funds to a clean existing or newly formed subsidiary of Abraaj Holding”, according to a report in UAE newspaper The National. Under its proposal, Tell Group will own 20% of the seven funds with the remaining 80% to be transferred to Abraaj’s unsecured creditors. It argues that its bid will give control of the fund to local investors, which reportedly include an airline and pension fund, allowing them to recover funds they would not otherwise be able to reclaim. “Solutions considered to date are not in our opinion viable: they are value-destructive for both the funds’ limited partners (LPs) and the Abraaj Holding (AH)/Abraaj Investment Manager (AIML) creditors, while creating significant legal tail risks and complexities for the LPs and joint provisional liquidators to navigate,” stated the proposal. “The current process is marked by a deep misalignment of interests and interference from related parties and employees potentially seeking to monetise the situation or to pursue personal agendas; this could create material value leakage against both the creditors’ estates and the LPs’ interests,” added Tell Group. Abraaj was the biggest buyout firm in the region until a dispute over the running of its $1 billion healthcare fund led to the unravelling of the firm. ©2019 funds global mena

Sponsored Profiles

There’s no doubt that Africa has been seen increasingly as an attractive prospect for inbound investment in recent years, with investors seeing real potential in the continent, particularly in the private equity, infrastructure and real estate asset classes, as it experiences strong economic growth.

Plausible explanations exist for why low-volatility stocks perform better than their high-volatility counterparts.

Aberdeen Asset Management has set up its first Middle East office in the newly established Abu Dhabi Global Market. Andrew Paul, senior executive officer, explains why.

A recent sovereign bond issue from Saudi Arabia underlines the appeal of emerging market investing. What must investors consider when allocating to this asset class? Firas Mallah of BMO Global Asset Management shares his views.

Executive Interviews

INTERVIEW: ‘Financing is the blood of Iran’s economy’

Amid a fresh wave of American sanctions, Romil Patel spoke to Meysam Hamedi, director of financial markets and instruments at Iran’s Securities & Exchange Organization (SEO).

INTERVIEW: Totally mega

In 2016, global consulting firm PWC forecast the emergence of five global ‘megatrends’ in the next two decades. Stephen Anderson, its Middle East clients and markets leader, talks about their...

INTERVIEW: Protecting the investment

Rasmala’s trade finance fund recently passed $100 million in assets. Doug Bitcon, head of credit strategies, explains why he has to be hands-on.

EXECUTIVE INTERVIEW: A natural interest in the topic

Since 2016, Guillermo Ortiz has been a chairman of Latin America’s BTG Pactual. The former central banker of Mexico talks to Nick Fitzpatrick.

Roundtables

South Africa asset management roundtable: Global rebound on ice

Experts discuss the investment implications of the coronavirus pandemic, a delayed rebound in global growth and dealing with South Africa’s energy issues head on. Chaired by Romil Patel in Cape Town.

South African roundtable: Taking the bull by the horns

Our panel discusses Chinese investment in Africa, financial institutions’ contribution to economic sustainability and regulatory concerns. Chaired by Romil Patel in Cape Town.

ROUNDTABLE: Hooked to the global caravan

With the MENA region at a tipping point, our panellists talk about economic diversification, the impact of regulation and the delayed Saudi Aramco listing. Chaired by Romil Patel in Dubai.

MENA ROUNDTABLE: ‘The story is about reforms’

Our cross-industry panel discuss the positive backdrop in Egypt, the Dana Gas controversy and the potential index upgrades of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Chaired by George Mitton in Dubai.