News

Investment banking fees fall 17% in region

Total fees for investment banking activity in the Middle East and North Africa fell for the third consecutive year, according to data compiled by Thomson Reuters. So far in 2018 there has been a 17% drop year on year, bringing fees down to their lowest level since 2015. Much of the decline has come from a reduction of mergers and acquisitions, which account for a lower share of regional investment banking fees than at any time since 2000. Equities was the only asset class to see an increase in its share of fees, rising from 27.5% to 29%. Debt capital market (DCM) fees accounted for 29% of the total figure, with corporates responsible for 41% of this total and sovereign issuance paying the remaining 59%. Standard Chartered currently heads the league table in DCM fees. It gathered $24.25 million and a 17.1% share, almost twice as much as the second-placed bank HSBC with $12.17 million. ©2018 funds global mena

Executive Interviews

INTERVIEW: ‘Financing is the blood of Iran’s economy’

Jan 04, 2019

Amid a fresh wave of American sanctions, Romil Patel spoke to Meysam Hamedi, director of financial markets and instruments at Iran’s Securities & Exchange Organization (SEO).

INTERVIEW: Totally mega

Jun 13, 2018

In 2016, global consulting firm PWC forecast the emergence of five global ‘megatrends’ in the next two decades. Stephen Anderson, its Middle East clients and markets leader, talks about their...

Roundtables

ROUNDTABLE: Hooked to the global caravan

Jan 04, 2019

With the MENA region at a tipping point, our panellists talk about economic diversification, the impact of regulation and the delayed Saudi Aramco listing. Chaired by Romil Patel in Dubai.

MENA ROUNDTABLE: ‘The story is about reforms’

Jun 13, 2018

Our cross-industry panel discuss the positive backdrop in Egypt, the Dana Gas controversy and the potential index upgrades of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Chaired by George Mitton in Dubai.